Friday, March 07, 2014

Montessori Practical Life is More Than Chores — Joy in the Process

I recently came across a surprising article titled I Don’t Want My Kids Doing Chores — Age-Appropriate or Otherwise. Curiosity got the better of me and I clicked on the link to read more.


In the article, Meredith Carroll states “I’d rather just do my kids’ chores for them… I don’t get … why I have to pain myself to teach them how to clean when what they’re doing is not actually cleaning, but usually making more of a mess, which is just work for me. It’s more work for me to nag them to tell them to do it.”

As a Montessorian, I was puzzled.

More Than Chores: Montessori Practical Life


How did Carroll learn to clean house? Did it just automatically come to her at when she reached a certain age? Or did she have an adult in her life, her mother or grandparent perhaps, who invited her to help around the house. I remember my grandmother teaching me how to iron tea towels and handkerchiefs, sew on buttons, sweep the floor, wash dishes, and bake cookies. I am pretty sure that my grandfather’s handkerchiefs did not need ironing, that there was more playing in the soap bubbles than dishes getting washed, and that a lot more dough was eaten then baked. But I learned, at a very young age, some of the daily skills required for being a capable and contributing adult by standing next to and helping my grandmother and mother.

NAMC montessori practical life more than chores sweeping spill

The purpose of teaching children lessons in practical life is not to get them to do chores. The purpose is to teach them how to be adults. If we do not teach children how to do something, how and when will they learn? Carroll says that when her daughter cleans, “she somehow manages to make more of a mess than was there before she started.” If I may kindly and respectfully say, changing the methods she uses to model and demonstrate both the work and its desired outcome would likely result in a more positive experience for Carroll and her daughter — and in a cleaner house.

Carroll acknowledges that her daughter likes doing household work. And rightly so. This is age-appropriate for her five-year-old daughter who is in the sensitive period for this work. If she waits much longer, her daughter’s sensitive period of learning will pass and what her daughter once found enjoyable will indeed become a detested chore. With patience and proper modeling of the work from start to finish, both mother and daughter would be satisfied with the results.

We must remember as adults that we look for shortcuts. I used my vacuum cleaner this morning to clean my kitchen floor after my dogs tracked in dirt. Should I have gotten out my broom? Probably, but my vacuum was already out, so I took a shortcut. However, had I been teaching a young child, I would have cleaned the floor properly. For adults, joy is found in getting our work done quickly and efficiently. For children, joy is in the process of work itself — of knowing that they are independent and are capable of a completing a job well.

NAMC montessori practical life more than chores sewing button

Carroll relates that when she took over cleaning the floor from her daughter and told her that she would “just do it,” Carroll’s daughter looked dejected. I wonder how an adult would feel if she proudly demonstrated her work to another adult who abruptly told her, “Never mind…I’ll do it myself.” Hurt? Rejected? Incapable? Angry? What would happen if that adult was asked to complete that task again? Chances are, she would remember that experience and rebel against it. Children feel exactly the same way.

Children are not born knowing how to do things. If they are to learn, they must be shown how to complete tasks, and it may take many lessons and much repetition before the end product is the way we want it. Patience, kindness, and encouragement go a long way. Rather than adopting a “let me do it” attitude, stop and offer something more positive: “I appreciate your help. May I show you how?”
As much as possible, NAMC’s web blog reflects the Montessori curriculum as provided in its teacher training programs. We realize and respect that Montessori schools are unique and may vary their schedules and offerings in accordance with the needs of their individual communities. We hope that our readers will find our articles useful and inspiring as a contribution to the global Montessori community.
© North American Montessori Center - originally posted in its entirety at Montessori Teacher Training on Friday, March 7, 2014.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article. As a parent of a preschooler I often find myself doing chores while my LO is sleeping or otherwise occupied. I need to be mindful of his needs and break down the work so he can help rather than worrying about efficiency. I remember my mom teaching me to laundry and I asked "Why do I have to do it?" She explained to me that her mom never let her help with chores, as a result she didn't know how to do laundry when she moved out on her own. She didn't want me to be helpless as she had been.

    ReplyDelete

Have questions or comments? Let us know what you thought about this article!

We appreciate feedback and love to discuss with our readers further.

NAMC Blog Inquiries Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search the NAMC Montessori Teacher Training Blog

Are you interested in reading back through NAMC's blog articles from years gone by, or for more information on a specific topic?

Browse a select list of our most popular categories below; by clicking on one, you will see every article posted under that topic since 2007. You may also use the lower archive menu to select a year and month, displaying all blog posts in the chosen time frame.

If you are seeking a range of information on a certain topic or idea, try this search box for site-wide keyword results.

Choose From a List of Popular Article Topics

NAMC Montessori Series

Montessori Philosophy and Methodology

Montessori Classroom Management

The School Year

Montessori Materials

Montessori Curriculum

Montessori Infant/Toddler (0–3) Program

Montessori Early Childhood (3–6) Program

Montessori Elementary (6–12) Programs

What is Montessori?

Search Archives for Montessori Blog Posts by Date


Thank you to the NAMC Montessori community!

NAMC has been providing quality Montessori distance training and curriculum development to Montessorians around the globe for more than 25 years. Since beginning in 1996, we have grown to build a fantastic community of students, graduates, and schools in over 160 countries. We are grateful for your continued support and dedication to furthering the reach and success of the Montessori method.